Friday 14 December 2012

north jackets Where can I get a custom makers mark for my dad

Where can I get a custom makers mark for my dad

Where can I obtain a custom makers mark for my dad?

July 11, 2007 5:10 PM Subscribe

My dad is really a wood craftsman. Hes a makers mark that hes used since before I had been born. After 30+ many years of use, it isnt making its mark so well anymore, and Id like to get him a new one. But where?

Its metallic, and he heats it before pressing it into the wood, where it burns/brands the mark. Previously look great, but now appears like this.

Let me get him a replacement, however i have no idea where.

Preferably from the reputable place online, but Id also be willing to travel within the greater Philadelphia area. He makes such wonderful stuff, and Id hate for him to not have the ability to put his signature onto it anymore.

Yes, I recognize he probably knows where to get them and may get his own, but hes just not the type of guy to achieve that.

posted by misanthropicsarah to sports, hobbies, recreation 5 answers total

Lee Valley offers both traditional and electric . Ive ordered a reasonable number of woodworking items from their store and they have always been an excellent company to order from. I dont possess a makers mark so I cant discuss the caliber of that item.

posted by macfly at 5:19 PM on July 11, 2007

A suggestion: dont replace it, refurbish it. I suspect hes sentimental attachment to something which hes used for 3 decades. A machine shop that actually works with dies will be able to cut away more metal to deepen the lettering after which grind the entire surface a little to even everything out, so that all the letters appear evenly.

Or I suppose north jackets can get some fancy electric brands. Lee Valley, mentioned above, is widely known as an excellent supplier of woodworking tools.

posted by jellicle at 5:48 PM on July 11, 2007

When north jackets say he isnt the type to obtain a replacement himself, what do north jackets mean, exactly? Does he just think its an unnecessary hassle, or can it be he actually takes pride within the fact hes been at this for such a long time that hes actually worn away the piece of iron he makes use of to sign his work?

Whether it may be the second, be careful about doing him a big favor and achieving it reground. How about using a new one made and putting that old one on a decorative mount he can hang in the shop or office?

posted by contraption at 6:15 PM on July 11, 2007 1 favorite

Seconding refurbishment. Im not sure names offhand, however, north jackets should be able to find a metal shop on Sansom Street that can do it -- seek advice from firms that do jewelery casting.

posted by desuetude at 6:49 AM on July 12, 2007

Im with contraption. I do nothing that would deserve a makers mark generally Im trying to hide the truth that I ever touched anything, but I get *really* touchy about my stuff in general, and my long-term stuff particularly.

Youll presumably know him much better than we all do, but when it were me, Id not be happy about anybody who wanted to adjust/move/improve my stuff. You can present me with new stuff, and if I love it or feel like I want it, Ill use it. Even if I dont utilize it, I may appreciate the gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment