Monday 19 November 2012

jackets sale men Wasp nest progression

Wasp nest progression

Last week I posted a photograph from the wasps building a nest inside a bird box after which adding an extension when they ran out of space.

I have taken a photo every day to record the progression of their building works. Ought to be interest, I will add each days photo within this thread. Ive found it absolutely fascinating to see them create the paper and add it to their wonderful creation. Pure nature at work.

Special dispensation was given to permit more that 5 images per post for the reason that it is necessary poor the thread and I said it was OK!

24 May 2011

29 May. These arent wingless wasps! The are buzzing their wings to ventilate the hive.

30 May. A day jackets sale men need it! Note both at the enterance doing hive ventalation duties.

31 May - They seem to be adding layers on top of the existing layers.

31 May - a detailed from hard working creatures

1 June - missed

2 June

3 June - A very warm night - It seems that the like to rest outside.

4 June - They really are adding layer.

I had been away for Ten days.

18 June

26 June - a very hot day. You are absolutely right, its educational. They only get angry should jackets sale men wave jackets sale men arms about and frighten them. On one or two of the ultimate close-up photos Ive taken, jackets sale men camera lens was just 2 inches fro the nest I had been looking with the viewfinder Body of the little fellas landed on my small ear but didnt sting. Edge plus they are not perturbed.

Its fascinating how theyve built just enough to shade the entrance from direct light and, in the way the 2 lower parts are at different heights and angles, is that just enough to shade the doorway throughout the day?

Im also wondering when the reason lots of wasps seem to be sleeping outside, it might be getting hot inside - Seeing as this area is, to all intents and purposes, sealed on 5 from 6 sides, they cant get the full airflow like they would from a normally built nest, where every square mm is designed for that.

Oh, I am not suggesting drilling some vent-holes within the sides, or managing a fan or 2 within the box, wasps are very adaptable and can most likely adapt to the situation - I like all the sciences from A to Z and I have my Biology-Hat on, at the moment

Yes, the nesting box is on the south facing fence. I have notices that theres usually a couple of this option at the entrance on ventilation duty. Whats surprised me is the fact that on a few of the extreme close ups, using a 50mm 1:1 macro lens, they let me obtain the front of the lens to within 2 inches of the entrance.

Im wondering if temperature was an issue. But lets face it, They have been studying the ways of being wasps far longer than jackets sale men me, believe that they would know where its safe to build a nest which way it should point!

No comments:

Post a Comment